I am on my way to Michigan to facilitate professional development in mathematics. I will share a full day of hands-on activities that can easily be supplemented in to a teacher’s math curriculum. Why did this small school district choose AIMS to facilitate their professional development? They were aware that AIMS could do the following for their teachers:
- engage them in a series of hands-on AIMS activities with real-world applications that can be used with their students:
- offer suggestions in classroom management for an activity-oriented math/science program:
- share deeper understanding of content and practices/processes and how to apply them to their teaching:
- use tools to teach for understanding, not memorization.
- share activities and strategies to help students use higher-order thinking skills and communicate their thinking.
The AIMS Center for Math and Science Education works hard to find the best ways to teach math and science to young learners. When we facilitate a day of PD, we share with teachers the published research we have studied and tested in classrooms.
On the local level communities invest in their students by providing them the best possible public education. Bringing professional development provided by a non-profit organization with over thirty years experience working in the K-8 math and science arena may be the best way to invest in your teachers. Please reacquaint yourself with the professional development AIMS is available to facilitate.